[CSS_ACM_General_List] What's ACM?

Chris Miree c_miree at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 08:46:34 CST 2010

Greetings my fellow Technocrats.

I'm studying Defense Against the Dark Arts - or IASE – and a lot of my
colleagues ask me why I don't use my knowledge for malicious purposes. Well,
there's a Code I follow: http://tinyurl.com/Sans-CodeofEthics. This code comes
with being a member of any professional organization and sets a baseline
standard and expectations for you or the company you're apart of.  Though my
field has a lot of room for exploitation, so does  any discipline of Computer
Science.
The CSS is a chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery, and has its own
Code of Ethics: http://www.acm.org/about/code-of-ethics. Being a member a member
of ACM not only establishes that standard you should follow, but also has
several perks that comes with it:

	* a 	member base of almost 100k students and professionals
	* up-to-date 	breakthroughs & news in the field
	* help 	you choose a  career direction and find the job of your dreams
	* and 	only a $19 student membership (Regular membership cost $99)

ACM provides about three or so e-mails a week on various topics, so they have
news come in quite frequently. I'm only touching the tip of the iceberg here;
ACM has a lot of other services they provide as well. If you want to learn more,
I encourage you to check out them out:
http://www.acm.org/membership/student/student-toc

In any case, I look forward to seeing you all in January hopefully your SE 350
wounds has healed themselves, and you all will be back stoked for a Chicago
winter.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas
CSS | President
Chris Miree