[CSS_ACM_General_List] Possible summer project opportunity

Derek Schaefer derek.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 19:36:31 CDT 2010

Hey all,

A friend of mine, Shane, wants to start a performing arts listing,
rating, and recommendation website that serves Chicago this summer.
The details are below. Could be a nice resume builder. If you're
interested and/or want to get more details, his phone number is
773-330-3930.

Here is the information he sent to me:

I'm looking for some people who have a good knowledge of web design
and computer programming for a little project.

Here's what I want to do:
I want to combine the performance listings that the Chicago reader
with the functionality and usability of yelp, the algorithms of genius
in iTunes or Pandora, and the events mechanism from facebook for an
active marketing tool or performing arts organizations. Basically, I
want to make it easier to find out what performances are happening,
have people submit reviews/recommendations of companies, give people
active recommendations with algorithms, and allow so called
'initiators' to easily invite and schedule an outing to arts events
with their friends.
I've been studying performing arts marketing for a little while now,
and I felt like this is sorely needed for performing arts to keep up
with home entertainment. It's gotta be easier, and it's gotta be
aggressive.
I'm looking for a couple of people to help design and implement the
website - meaning students looking for a good project to start their
career off with. I would prefer someone who is familiar with mobile
platforms, since I think it's necessary. We'll probably just work with
android since android is outselling iPhones now and programming for
the iPhone sucks.
The deal is that this is something that non profits and for profits-
theater, symphonies, opera, art galleries- are killing for. It's my
passion, but for the person looking for $$$, this is something that
could be a hot product if we do it right. There's nothing out there
right now.

Time frame: I'd like to have a really basic (see bottom) version
running this fall.

Number of people: as many as it takes, two or three probably at most.

Time commitment: side project level. Like 5-7 hours a week at most.

The basic version Id like to run would just involve school of music
and theater school shows, maybe branching out to a few theaters or
music groups. I don't expect algorithms by the fall, but if we can
then awesome. I don't know much about the actually work this would
take.