[CSS_ACM_General_List] Philosophical question about software engineering: are we failingto manage complexity?

Andrew Kwan acreoaeneas at gmail.com
Thu May 6 00:16:24 CDT 2010

(Sorry forgot to reply to all...)

The answer itself I think is not as simple as just managing complexity.  I
think in general, we as developers need to come up with better tools to
match the growing list of things we are asked to make.  A simple request
should have a simple solution, but instead we find the solution is more
involved and we force ourselves to think as a machine (low-level) instead of
more at a conceptual level.  I'm sure with time our current progress at
developing more high-level tools will get better to where we won't get the
impression that we aren't catching up to user demand (might even be we'll
exceed user demand and come to expect/predict what that demand might be).

I'm seeing the trends in some of DePaul's class offerings like learning a
functional programming language (Scala), focus on better algorithms (JAVA
Algorithms/Computer Systems), and so forth.